January 12, 2012

Grey Knight Dilemma

Ok, so here I stand at an impasse.

I'm definitely going to be expanding my old Grey Knight army.  I've come to terms with my dislike for the strange proportions of the models.  I've gotten some inspiration from some conversions and paint schemes I've seen around the internet.  I've even gotten a squad of the new grey knights, a razorback and the new finecast Helbrecht model for a counts-as Castellan Crowe.  I've even gotten a few games in to test out some theories I have about the codex.



I just can't decide how I want to paint them.



I used to go with a simple but nice looking standard metallic metals paint scheme.  There are things I like about it and things I don't.  Overall I've come to realize I'm just not excited about a model painted entirely in metallics.  Here's a few of my old Grey Knights including a Justicar with Nemesis Daemonhammer using one of the Space Marine Masters of the Chapter.





 I've done some playing around with colors and ideas.  I toyed with the idea of painting my new Grey Knights in their original (debatable I know) black and silver paint scheme but I'm not a fan of black.  It's too much work to make look genuinely good and if you slack at all it looks sloppy.

I think I've settled (this is where you guys come in) on a dark, almost gunmetal grey color for them.  I'm not completely sold yet but that may just be because I haven't been able to FINISH a model yet.




 I'm not sure if I want to keep the gun casings red or paint them black.  I think I might go back to my old version of the robes, slightly more brown color separates better from the purity seals.  I have no idea what I want to do with the Nemesis Force Weapons.  The old Knights just got metallic swords and halberds.  But I think I want to try something fancier with the new boys.  Lastly I don't know if I want to repaint my old knights or keep them metallic.

These three basically just ended up being a process of running through my old habits.  Red cloak, gold armor trim, overall they look very similar.

Here's the back shots of both of the fronts above:






Anyways, please comment or criticize these guys.  I want to settle on something in my mind before I finish Njall and the Orks.  Let me know what you think, what you're doing with your Grey Knights or toss me links for stuff you've seen around the interwebs of things you've liked!

Cheers!

I wonder if I can set up a poll on my sidebar or something...

EDIT: Proper prayers to the machine spirit have shown me the way, please vote!


No comments:

Post a Comment